February 27, 2012
Key Verse: "He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit." Titus 3:5
As a family, go through your photo albums. As you look at the pictures, look for ways Jesus has shown your family he cares about you. Remember needs your family has had and talk about the ways Jesus met those needs. Then give thanks in prayer!
at 9:13 AM
February 21, 2012
Key Verse: "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sons and purify us from all unrighteousness." -1 John 1:9
Read this quote and talk it over with your family:
"To err is human, to forgive, divine." -Alexander Pope
- Can you describe a time you needed forgiveness?
- What makes it hard to forgive? to ask for forgiveness?
- What are some steps you can take to receive forgiveness?
- Confess your sins to Jesus, and ask for his forgiveness.
- Think of a person who you've hurt and ask for that person's forgiveness.
- Tell a friend how great it feels to be forgiven.
at 8:37 AM
February 13, 2012
Key Verse: "Cast all your anxiety on him for he cares for you."
1 Peter 5:7
Read this quote and talk it over as a family.
"Fear has nothing to do with cowardice. A person is only yellow when she lets her fear make her quit." - Jerome Cady (editor's note: I changed the gender in the quote)
- Why do some people think that being fearful and being a coward might be the same thing?
- Why do you think Jerome Cady said that people are cowards only when their fear makes them quit?
- How do we conquer fear?
- Pray to Jesus telling him what you fear most.
- Face one of your fears this week asking God for support.
- Praise God for being bigger than your fears.
at 9:23 AM
February 06, 2012
Key Verse: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28).
Read this quote and talk it over with your family.
"In our efforts to avoid the necessary pains of discipline we miss the easy yoke and light burden." - Dallas Willard, The Spirit of the Disciplines
- What in the world does this quote mean?
- What are some areas in your life i which you are being tempted to go the "easy" (undisciplined) way because all your friends seem to be going that "easy" way?
- In reality, is it way or hard to avoid the "necessary pains of discipline"? Explain.
at 10:28 AM