May 07, 2012

Devotion for the week of May 7

Bible Point: Follow where God leads.

Key Verse: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Read this quote with your family and talk about it.
"I will have to discern between an authentic call from God and what might simply be a foolish impulse on my part. Courage alone is not enough; it must be accompanied by wisdom and discernment." - John Ortberg, If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat

  • How can you distinguish between a call from God and a foolish impulse?
  • Have you ever gotten the two mixed up? What happened?
  • How can you gain the wisdom needed to hear God's call?
(Anne's note: This is something I've always struggled with... is this God's will or my will? It doesn't necessarily mean it's "foolish" if it's my will, but it is important to distinguish between the two. I heard a woman in her 80s say that she still struggled with this question. I don't think it's something we'll ever have completely figured out...)

No comments:

Post a Comment